Monday, July 1, 2013

A Word About the US Senate Race...

I would like to take a moment to respond to the requests about the US Senate race. Last Wednesday I met with Governor Beshear to notify him that I would not be a candidate for the US Senate.  I was planning on making a statement on Friday, however, due to the announcement made today by Sec. of State Alison Grimes I feel compelled to go ahead and state that I will not be a candidate.  After traveling more than 5000 miles out west with my family over the past few weeks meeting with potential supporters and strategists...who were all very, very supportive...I realized that the time I spent with my children and husband convinced me to continue on my current path with my family, my business and my work with our nation's veterans.  I was very honored to be asked to consider playing such a role for our state, however, in looking at the next year...my prior commitments deserve my wholehearted and concentrated efforts.  The ultimate fear for someone like me is that politics has the potential to taint amazing projects.  The old saying that, "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished," I am afraid is true when the mere thought that a good deed is done for political gain.  There are so many wonderful groups that I will be working with this year including the DAV (Disabled American Veterans), the Kentucky Prostate Cancer Coalition, and the Children's Reading Foundation of Appalachia just to name a few.  I do tend to book my projects and calendar more than one year in advance which does make it extremely difficult to think about entering the political arena in just a few short months. Perhaps there is a future political race for me but for now I will continue to advocate for small business owners, help to support our veterans and military in any way I can...and, with a Mother's heart..I will continue to be there day in and day out to show guidance and love to my two beautiful daughters....who, by the way, turn 10 & 12 this week.  Maybe this will be the perfect birthday present!

P.S. Best wishes to Alison on her race!

Sincerely,
Heather